
Tuesday saw the full spectrum of socio-economic lifestyles in the 25 mile radius in which MPC operates.
I began the morning on top of a tile roof in a small enclave of Carolina, a marvelous planned community just miles from our homoffice that situates most of the beautiful homes around a pristine golf course (even in prosperous south Florida, the residents long for something more glorious, more peaceful, more heavenly, and they wishfully name their communites after those dreamy places). The homeowner is in his mid-30's, works at his own liesure, and was more concerned about his new puppy hunting dog that he was the thousand $$ roofing job. His living room was decorated with numerous hunting "trophies," and I later found that he takes yearly pilgrimages to the promised land to hunt in Barnwell, South Carolina. This man was not hurting for cash.
I then traveled only about 10 miles (as the crow flies), where I measured several large duplex homes. None of the residents owned the homes, and most didn't even know who the landlord was or how to reach them.
It was not uncommon to see something like a 100 ft. coaxial cable, exposed and above ground, stretched from the tv, out the livingroom window, through the sunroom, around the shubbery bed, across the backyard and straigh to the neighbors cable box, where Resident 1 was presumably "borrowing" Resident 2's cable access (see picture). Brilliant.
I knocked on one of the tenant's doors. The window was open, and inside I could hear the television broadcasting its quality afternoon programming, while several young children argued over a game they were playing. Upon my knock, they all began to chatter loudly and I could hear them clawing and fighting their way around each other and over the furniture as they tried to be the first to get the door. The undiscernable, ebonical noise reached a feverish pitch, highlighted by an older woman yelling from a back room of the house. At the peak of the yelling, I noticed the blinds part, and a little boy peaked through and started straight at me, and then disappointingly (and yet with a bit of suprise) announced to the house: "Ah, its just a white man."
Signing off,
just a white man

1 comment:
Google is awesome for finding old friends. FINALLY! One of my housemates can be found on teh intarweb!
This be Abby, reading your blog with a burst of glee while listening to your awesome soundtrack. I'd ask how you are and such things, but I think I've covered all of those in my e-mails recently. But yay.
~Abby teh weird~
Post a Comment